Ye Olde Linoleum Shoppe

Thursday 9 June 2011

HISTORIC TERENURE LANDMARK TO BE FLUSHED AWAY!


Terenure's historic public lavatorial convenience is about to bite the dust. LIDDILYALDI or some other cut price purveyor of dried beans and drillbits is about to erect a temple to Mammon on top of this peachy relic. As a child I remember the loos were so popular queues of people stretched out the door as far as the Mayo border, even the queue for Santa at Switzers paled into insignificance when compared against this particular item. I spoke recently to Mrs. Marian Mutton, chairperson of the Terenure wing of the Tattooed Irish Jockey Association and her comment on the place was quite shocking, 'Conor,' she said, 'The place is a s**thole. It was when it was built and it still is today, why are you so upset about it?'  She was of course right on so many levels but  I still struck her off my Christmas card list toot sweet. Interestingly the building was thrown up in 1943 when Ireland's most successful export to Germany was Lord Haw Haw.

2 comments:

  1. At last somebody saying it as it is, without fear or favour, magnificent...

    Incidentally, is it possible to buy any of these drawings as signed, limited edition prints in any Temple Bar Art Gallery?

    Also, when do we get a launch of the exhibition, with glasses of wine and small bits of easi-singles and a grape on a tooth-pick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is a launch I want to be in a rubby dingy and you can all push me out into the Liffey while I play Amazing Grace on the banjo, then the dingy will burst into flames and you can all jump on.

    Sorry what was your question again?

    ReplyDelete

Hello

My photo
Ireland
I am a descended from a long line of conga dancers. I occasionally wear shoes. I gave up going to the toilet twenty years ago - it's a filthy habit. I have a pet bunny called Mucky - he's a filthy rabbit.

AND NOW FOR SOME SHAMELESSLY DIMINUTIVE FACES IN SMALL SQUARE BOXES